More than two hundred years ago, the Spanish government began settling a vast area stretching from Panuco River in Tampico, Mexico, to the Nueces River in present-day Corpus Christi. In 1762 King Carlos III of Spain, at the suggestion of the Viceroy of Mexico, ordered a just and equal division of the territory. Spanish in order to insure that all proposed porciones (section of land) had equal access to the bank on the Rio Bravo and extending inland. The average porcion was two-thirds of a mile wide on the riverbank and stretched inland for eleven to sixteen miles. This marked the beginning of the history of Rancho La Lomita, site of the La Lomita Mission, after which the city of Mission was named.
In 1745, Jose de Escandon ordered Captain Jose Antonio Cantu to establish the town of Reynosa at its present site, which at that time was under the jurisdiction of Anzalduas. Written records substantiate that the side known as La Lomita was granted to Captain Cantu of Reynosa by a Spanish grant in 1767. The land was eventually sold to M. Guillermo Rene Guyard, who at his death in 1874 willed the land to the Missionary Oblates of Mary. In 1906 the oblate Fathers sold the land on which the city on Mission and much of its nearby community now stand to John J. Conway and J.W. Hoit, who established Rancho La Lomita Land Company. Most of the area's activities were centered on La Lomita.
In 1908 the Missouri Pacific established a railway station near the center of the new community, four miles north of the mission. That railroad stop has grown into the thriving city of Mission. It was in the area that the first citrus was planted in the Rio Grande Valley.
The historic La Lomita Mission still stands and is visited regularly each year by tourists and residents, and the multi-million dollar citrus industry is celebrated annually with the gala Texas Citrus Fiesta, attracting participants from both sides of the Rio Grande.